Saturday, May 4, 2013

Re-prioritizing my life

For me, one of the biggest challenges with going back to school after I had already received the bachelors degree and was already working, was re-prioritizing my life. I am a create of habit and like to fall into daily and weekly routines to help stay organized. To combat the stresses of daily life I started to engage myself in endurance sports. I have completed the NYC Half Marathon, NYC Triathlon, and a number of other cross-country and road races. Obviously these events take time and dedication to prepare for.

I also have a pretty active social life. I am lucky enough to have a wonderful girlfriend and a large group of close friends. In fact, I am still very close with my 11 closest friends from High School.

I am also a huge music lover and huge sports fan. I very much enjoy going to concerts and sporting events.

Going back to school has forced me to think twice about spending money for my social and personal life. Working part time jobs does not offer the opportunity to make the kind of money that most of my friends my age have been making. I have been forced to cut back and make sacrifices.

I have also had to sacrifice my time. Using a calendar and planning when assignments are due and when I have to go to the gym, see my friends/girlfriend, and spend time with family is the only way I am able to get by. It does get frustrating.

However, my frustrations easily subside in many ways. First, I have been doing well in school. There is nothing more rewarding then giving up things in your life that you are used to doing and being reassured that you are making the right decisions. For me, receiving good grades is part of this reassurance. The second way that my frustrations subside is having such a great supporting cast. My family, friends, and girlfriend have all (for the most part) been extremely understanding of my situation and my choice to go back to school. I even have been given permission to miss out of the family's Mother's Day plans next weekend in anticipation of my up coming finals.

Choosing to go back to school is a difficult one, that takes some getting used to and some reorganization of daily activities to make time for school work. There is nothing more rewarding when things work out.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment